Forum Posts

scrtbarn
Jul 26, 2021
In Technology
A Twitter post claims that the Data of 3.8 billion clubhouse users comprises of users numbers got leaked and published over the Dark Web. According to the tweet, the leaked data includes mobile, fixed-line, private and professional numbers and the data will be sold through a private auction on 4th September 2021. Those who wish to participate in the auction were asked to leave a comment on the darknet post following which the user would share the link to participate. "A database of 3.8 billion phone numbers of #Clubhouse users is up for sale on the #Darknet. It also contains Numbers of people in user's PhoneBooks that were Synced. So Chances are high that you are listed even if you haven't had a Clubhouse login. #DataPrivacy," said the tweet. Audio-only social platform Clubhouse has denied reports of a data leak after a user published posts on Telegram and the dark web claiming to sell contact information of more than 3.8 billion people saved in the databases of Clubhouse. The platform said it does access its users’ contact lists, but added that there was no breach of data. “There are a series of bots generating billions of random phone numbers. In the event that one of these random numbers happens to exist on our platform because of mathematical coincidence, Clubhouse’s API returns no user-identifiable information. Privacy and security are of utmost importance to Clubhouse and we keep investing in industry-leading security practices," the company said. Back in April, a similar rumour surfaced of a data breach and the consequent sale of personal information of 1.3 million Clubhouse users including user IDs, names, usernames, social media handles, photo URLs, account creation dates, and information about who nominated the user to the app on the darknet. The claims were denied by Clubhouse CEO Paul Davison stating the report claiming personal user data had been leaked was "false." The Clubhouse Twitter account had also issued a statement that said, "This is misleading and false. Clubhouse has not been breached or hacked. The data referred to is all public profile information from our app, which anyone can access via the app or our API." Let's us know with your feedback and share this news around Vishvender & Utkarsh are part of the editorial team at Security Barn and writes on cybersecurity trends and news features.
Leaked Clubhouse Data up for Sale on Dark Web claims Twitter posts  content media
0
0
12
scrtbarn
Jul 22, 2021
In Technology
As per the updates from Internet outage tracker DownDetector, the outage seems to have started at around 8:55 PM IST on Thursday evening. However, within five minutes, the number of reports from people unable to access Zomato alone stood at around 3,000. There were similar scenes playing out with a number of other services too. There appears to be a major DNS, or Domain Name System failure. DNS acts as the phone directory of the internet, translating names of websites into IP addresses. Web services company Akamai Technologies on Thursday said it suffered a massive outage. The problem could be stemming from content delivery company Akamai Technologies leading to several websites facing downtime, including in India. A statement from the company says: "Investigating - We are aware of an emerging issue with the Edge DNS service. We are actively investigating the issue. If you have questions or are experiencing impact due to this issue, please contact Akamai Technical Support. In the interest of time, we are providing you the most current information available, which is subject to changes, corrections, and updates." source: Downdector Some of the major websites experiencing issues and outages include Zomato, Disney+Hotstar, PlayStation Network, Fidelity, FedEx, Steam, Microsoft, Airbnb and Amazon, according to Downdector. There's no word if the issues or outages are interconnected, but it certainly raises an eyebrow that something under the surface is happening. Let's us know with your feedback and share this news around. Vishvender & Utkarsh are part of the editorial team at Security Barn and writes on cybersecurity trends and news features
Internet outage - Atleast 29000 websites are down content media
0
0
14
scrtbarn
Jul 22, 2021
In Technology
This project was a consortium of news organizations investigating a leaked global database. In which, 300 'verified numbers of Indian Origin belongs to business executives, religious figures, journalists, opposition & BJP party leaders, Judges were on the leaked database list. This story started with 50,000 cell phone numbers in a database received by Forbidden Stories and Amnesty Technology Lab. They approached media in 16 countries to verify names and, if possible, send system ‘images’ of suspect phones to be tested for Pegasus. So, Pegasus which is used for hacking into the phones is basically a spyware developed by the Israel Cyberarms firm "NSO Group" that can be covertly installed on mobile phones running most versions of iOS and Android. It uses "Zero Click" technology, which means it doesn't require victim to even interact with their phones to hack into their devices(phones). It exploits the vulnerabilities in the OS of the mobile which manufacturer does not know about yet. How exactly this software works? source: Guardian According to the NSO group, the software is licensed only to 'vetted government' customers for the sole purpose of saving lives through preventing crimes and terror acts. They also denied having access to the data post-licensing it to the client as well as any potential data leak from their servers. How Government of India reacted? In a letter shared with ANI, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has out rightly denied the allegations stating, 'India is a robust democracy that is committed to ensuring the right to privacy to all the citizens as a fundamental right.' 'The allegations have no concrete basis or truth' said MiETy in a letter shared. Proof of breach by Amnesty International Amnesty International is a part of the project and its technical lab has conducted a forensic examination of 67 phones operated by persons on the database, 37 of which were found to have evidence of a successful or attempted Pegasus hack. "The first alarm bell rang in India in 2019, with WhatsApp's lawsuit against the NSO Group, didn't lead to questions being asked. We should not allow this to slip away either" quoted by thewire article List of people who were in that list from India Let's us know with your feedback and share this news around For more information regarding this topic please click here Vishvender & Utkarsh are part of the editorial team at Security Barn and writes on cybersecurity trends and news features
"The Pegasus Project" - A Harsh Reality of Technology content media
0
0
17
scrtbarn
Jul 17, 2021
In Cyber Crime
PUNE: The Pune police cyber crime branch arrested three Nigerian nationals from New Delhi on Wednesday on charges of duping a 60-year-old woman senior executive of a private firm in the city of Rs 3.98 crore in April under the guise of sending her gifts. According to the victim’s FIR, she received a friend request on a social media platform from a person who claimed himself to be from the United Kingdom in April 2021. Five months later, the man informed her that he had sent her an iPhone as a birthday present. The accused then forced her to pay large sums under the guise of customs clearance for the gifts which is stuck at the Delhi airport. His accomplice pretended to be courier agency representatives and customs officials called the victim claiming that the consignments also contains jewellery and foreign currency for which she has to pay more. According to the cyber police, the woman transferred Rs 3.98 crore to 67 different accounts in 25 banks. She filed an FIR after realising she had been duped, citing relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Information Technology Act. Following her complaint, a technical investigation was carried out and the accused were tracked in Delhi. A raid was carried out and three Nigerian nationals were arrested. Those arrested have been identified as Jango Nicolas (29), Monday Okeke (26), and Paulinus Mbamgo (29), all from Lagos, Nigeria. “We have recovered 23 smartphones, four laptops, a hard disc, five dongles, three pen drives, eight SIM cards, three debit cards, an identity card, and other documents from their flat in Delhi,” said a senior police officer. “The online fraudster began requesting money under the guise of sending gifts such as an iPhone, jewellery, and foreign currency, as well as for a variety of false reasons such as customs clearance and other formalities for these gifts. The woman was promised that she would be reimbursed for the money she gave. The victim transferred funds worth up to Rs 1 crore for these gifts. However, what began as a gift scam evolved into online extortion. The suspects began threatening her with a variety of legal actions. The woman was informed that there were illegalities in the items she had paid for, and she would face legal action. The complainant then transferred even more money under these threats by the accused,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (Cyber Crime and Economic Offences) Bhagyashree Navtake to the media. According to a Pune City Police official, this could be one of the largest sums of money lost in a gift fraud case investigated by any police body in the country. “While the arrest of the three has proven to be a significant breakthrough, we have recovered data from at least 70 to 80 cases of similar gift fraud committed by them,” DCP Navtake added. Some of these cases have been registered in Pune as well. We will continue to investigate these frauds and bring them to a conclusion.” According to police, the cyber fraudsters syphoned off large sums of money that the victims had transferred into various bank accounts per their instructions. According to sources, police are attempting to follow the money trail. Pune City Police said cyber criminals are active on social media platforms to cheat people. Police have asked residents not to respond to unidentified people on social media who are attempting to form friendships. Residents should be aware of such cyber fraudsters and avoid making any financial transactions as a result of their false claims of gifts, online lottery winnings, jobs, and business opportunities.
1
0
9
scrtbarn
Jul 17, 2021
In Cyber Crime
HYDERABAD: Hyderabad cybercrime investigators apprehended two people from Serlingampally area for conspiring with an African national to steal Rs 1.96 crore from Telangana State Co-operative Apex Bank’s core bank account. Yaseen Basha and his brother Md Rafi from Serilingampally have been identified as the accused. S Srinivasa Rao, deputy general manager of Telangana State Co-operative Apex Bank in Troop Bazar, filed a complaint on Wednesday, stating that they had discovered fraudulent cyber-transactions in the bank via the IMPS channel totalling Rs 1.96 crore between July 9 and July 13. The fraudulent transactions originated from three customer accounts opened at the bank’s Secunderabad and Chandanagar branches. “There was an unauthorised access to the bank’s network, and the amount was transferred from the core account to two of the three accounts created on July 9 at the Chandanagar and Secunderabad branches,” the complainant claimed. On Thursday, police arrested the brothers following a quick investigation. The duo stated that they were contacted by an African national from the Tolichowki area who offered to pay a 10% commission for opening bank accounts and allowing him to use the accounts for financial fraud. According to the accused, after opening the bank accounts, they transferred Rs 2 lakh into Yaseen’s account and Rs 1.94 crore into another account opened in the name of a woman at the Secunderabad branch. An unidentified associate of the African man hacked into the bank’s server and transferred the funds in these accounts. On the morning of July 14, Yaseen withdrew Rs 2 lakh and gave the African Rs 1.8 lakh after deducting his commission. The Rs 1.94 crore in the Secunderabad branch account was later transferred to ten other bank accounts throughout the country. The money was withdrawn by the fraudsters at various locations after a total of 102 fraudulent transactions,” KVM Prasad, ACP, Cybercrime said. The woman who opened the account in Secunderabad and the African identified as Wilson are still missing.
0
0
6
 

scrtbarn

Admin
More actions